Course Overview: LGBT Youth: Trauma to Belonging (2nd Edition) is a course that was designed for professionals working in schools and organizations that serve children and adolescents identifying with the LGBT+ community. The course provides information related to working with LGBT+ young people. Topics include: rejection experienced by LGBT+ youth, the “crisis of belonging” experienced by LGBT+ youth, the trauma of rejection and its effects, using “The Five Shifts” to connect with and understand fellow members of the human family, The Oneness of Humankind, and various other skills, tools, and tips for being an ally to LGBT+ young people. Leaving this course, participants will be armed with the knowledge and tools to support the children/students they serve.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Explain common rejections of LGBT youth in their homes, communities and schools
- Explain the impact of rejection and the “crisis of belonging” on LGBT young people
- Explain how rejection, internalized homophobia, etc. traumatizes LGBT youth and how this impacts their health and well-being
- Utilize the ‘Five-Shifts’ to connect with and understand fellow members of the human family
- Identify strategies one can use to be an LGBT student ally and create safe learning environments for them
Included with Purchase:
- Closed Captioning on all video content (English subtitles available)
- Downloadable PDFs of the LGBT Youth: Trauma to Belonging (2nd Edition) Presentation
- CE Certificate of Completion (through approved providers)
- Complimentary access to the 2020 Virtual Trauma & Resilience Conference session COVID-19 impacts on LGBT+ Youth: Implications for Belonging
- This course takes approximately 6-hours to complete and you do not have to complete it in one sitting.
- Starr eLearning courses can be completed on laptops, tablets, or mobile devices – allowing the content to be accessed whenever and wherever convenient.
- Upon purchase, you will have access to this course for 1-year (365 days).
- LGBT Youth: Trauma to Belonging (2nd Edition) counts as an elective toward achieving a Starr Commonwealth professional certification. Click here to learn more!