Course Overview: Mind Body Skills for Emotional Regulation reviews the polyvagal theory and the psychophysiology of trauma, so that participants can understand behavior as a language for what is happening in the body. Participants will spend most of their time learning how to apply these theories in their daily work by directly experiencing the practices in their own bodies. Participants will also learn how to understand the power of mind/body awareness in supporting children and adolescents with self-regulating and creating strong internal and external resources. Experiential activities are practiced to help participants embody how to stimulate the social engagement network through establishing safety, human contact, muscles of the face, throat, and ears, movement, and sensory tools. Mind body skills are essential to the healing of trauma, but they also offer critical support for caregivers when navigating the daily experience of stress. This course supports classroom teachers, therapists, administrators, and anyone who has ever felt puzzled about how to help youth regulate their own behavior. Mind body skills highlighted in this training include breath work, mindfulness, movement, focused awareness, compassion, connection, guided imagery, and expressive arts.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the Polyvagal Theory and how it informs sensory practices for healing
- Explain the parts of the brain and neuroscience to clients/youth to help them understand their trauma response
- Explain the meaning of emotional regulation and the process of co-regulation
- Demonstrate present moment awareness to gain direct experience with the practice of mindfulness, and identify how it brings regulations to the autonomic nervous system
- Develop strategies to establish safety
- Demonstrate practices that stimulate the vagus nerve through human contact, muscles of the face, throat and ears, position and movement and sensory tools in order to apply these strategies in practice
- Practice grounding, centering, and resource strategies to further develop resilience and emotional regulation
Included with Purchase:
- A downloadable PDF of the Mind Body Skills for Emotional Regulation (2nd Edition) Guidebook and Presentation
- CE Certificate of Completion
- This course takes approximately 6-hours to complete and you do not have to complete it in one sitting.
- Starr eLearning courses can be completed on laptops, tablets, or mobile devices – allowing the content to be accessed whenever and wherever convenient.
- Once you purchase this course, you will have access to it for 1-year (365 days).
- Mind Body Skills for Emotional Regulation (2nd Edition) counts as an elective toward achieving a Starr Commonwealth professional
certification. Click here to learn more!