Empower your alienated students to cultivate a deep sense of belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity. This fully updated edition of Reclaiming Youth at Risk by Larry K. Brendtro, Martin Brokenleg, and Steve Van Bockern merges Native American knowledge and Western science to create a unique alternative for reaching disconnected or troubled youth. Rely on the book’s new neuroscience research, insights, and examples to help you establish positive relationships, foster social learning and emotional development, and inspire every young person to thrive and overcome.
Drive positive youth development with the updated Reclaiming Youth at Risk:
- Study the four hazards that dominate the lives of youth at risk: relational trauma, failure as futility, powerlessness, and loss of purpose.
- Learn how cultivating the Circle of Courage values of belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity can combat the four hazards.
- Explore a unique strength-based approach for reclaiming discouraged or alienated youth.
- Understand how to create a safe, brain-friendly learning environment and break the conflict cycle.
- Read personal accounts of individuals who have transformed student trauma into student resilience in schools through trauma-informed practice.
Chapter 1: Enduring Truths
Chapter 2: The Circle of Courage
Chapter 3: Seeds of Discouragement
Chapter 4: Bonds of Trust
Chapter 5: Brain-Friendly Learning
Chapter 6: Pathways to Responsibility
Chapter 7: Lives With Purpose
Chapter 8: From Surviving to Thriving
References and Resources
Authors: Larry K. Brendtro, Martin Brokenleg, and Steve Van Bockern
Publisher: Solution Tree Press
There are no reviews yet.