Pre-requisite Course: Children of Trauma and Resilience (or Children of Trauma)
Audience: Designed for clinical professionals/counselors; however, the content is also applicable for anyone who works with children, adolescents, families, and/or communities.
Course Instructor: Dr. Caelan Soma, PsyD, LMSW, CTRT
Course Overview: Structured Sensory Interventions II takes participants deeper into the brain science of trauma and toxic stress, exploring the polyvagal theory, epigenetics, and the science of resilience. The content emphasizes the importance of hope when working with at risk and traumatized youth. Participants learn about the SITCAP® model (Structured Sensory Interventions for Traumatized Children, Adolescents and Parents) andn practice sensory based interventions from a variety of SITCAP® model programs, including Healing the Experience of Trauma: A Path to Resilience. Experiential activities and the presentation of case examples showcase how to process trauma and nurture and restore resilience in youth of all ages.
Note: The course combines content from ALL previous Structured Sensory Interventions and Healing the Experience of Trauma trainings.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Name and describe the two branches of the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Discuss the polyvagal theory as it relates to trauma and resilience.
- Name at least one reason epigenetics is important to trauma practitioners.
- Identify the main components of the SITCAP® model.
- Discuss how safety is maintained when implementing the SITCAP® model.
- Identify how exposure is connected to body sensations.
- Name at least five questions to help create a trauma or resilience narrative.
- Provide at least one example of cognitive reframing.
- Discuss how the SITCAP model restores the universal needs of youth.
- Identify at least three examples of sensory-based interventions for youth that can be used in response to crisis and/or for psychological first aid.
Included with Purchase:
- Closed Captioning on all video content (English subtitles available)
- Downloadable PDFs of the Structured Sensory Interventions II Guidebook and Presentation
- CE Certificate of Completion (through approved providers)
- This course takes approximately 6-hours to complete and you do not have to complete it in one sitting.
- Starr eLearning courses can be completed on laptops, tablets, or mobile devices – allowing the content to be accessed whenever and wherever convenient.
- Once you purchase this course, you will have access to it for 1-year (365 days).
- Structured Sensory Interventions II is the second of five courses required to achieve Certified Trauma & Resilience Practitioner certification on Starr’s clinical track. Click here to learn more!
- Starr Commonwealth is approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5768. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Starr Commonwealth is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. This course has been approved by NBCC for CE credit.