Starr Commonwealth and the Starr Alumni Association are committed to helping children and families succeed, and our educational and treatment programs are just the start!
To support continuing education and growth, we encourage all alumni to apply for Starr Scholarships. Students who have been a part of any Starr program, for any duration of time, are eligible to apply for our scholarships to help pay for further education, including 2 and 4 year colleges, vocational schools, GED completion programs, adult education or professional development courses, and more. Every year we are fortunate to award tens of thousands of dollars in fund assistance to our alumni, opening new doors and opportunities to each every step of the way.
Who is Eligible
Any student who has been a part of a Starr program and has maintained an overall 2.0 G.P.A.
How to Apply
- Starr Commonwealth Scholarship Application
- An official transcript
- Enrollment verification for upcoming semester
- A copy of the acceptance letter (1st semester attendees only)
The Starr Scholarship Committee will review your application materials within a two-week period, and determination of your status will be sent via email.
If you have additional questions about the application process, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
13725 Starr Commonwealth Road
Albion, MI 49224
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Scholarship Program?
Many close friends of Starr Commonwealth have contributed to scholarship funds to provide financial support to Starr graduates – helping each further their education and employment opportunities.
Who is eligible to receive a scholarship?
Any student served by a Starr Commonwealth program is eligible.
What kinds of education are covered by the program?
All types of educational or vocational training at accredited institutions can be funded. This could include attending a special high school, prep school, college or vocational school. GED completion programs, adult education or professional development courses are also eligible for consideration.
How will decisions be made regarding which students receive the funds available?
The scholarship committee reviews all applications. Decisions are made according to the committee’s assessment of commitment to continuing education, prior academic record, and degree of financial need. In some cases, a personal interview may be necessary.
How large can the scholarships be?
The size of the scholarship will be determined by the amount of funds available, the number of applicants, the cost of education being pursued, the financial need of the applicant, and the degree of prior commitment to and success in achieving further education.
Can scholarships be awarded for more than one year?
Yes, graduates who have already received a scholarship can reapply for an additional scholarship.
Can scholarships be awarded for less than full-time schooling?
Yes, students that wish to attend school part-time can be granted a scholarship.
What do the scholarships cover?
The scholarships cover tuition, fees, books and approved supplies only. If you have questions about whether an expense is covered, please contact us at 1-800-837-5591 or email@example.com.
What are the deadlines for applying?
- Applications for schools starting in the Fall term should be sent by June 1 of each year.
- Applications for two year programs and trade schools are due August 1.
- Applications for schools starting in January are due by November 1.
Applicants will be informed of the decisions of the committee within approximately two weeks of application. Late applicants run the risk of being declined due to lack of funds.
How are scholarships paid out?
All awards will be paid directly to the academic/vocational institution that you will attend. Yearly awards are split into TWO semester payments: 1) Fall and 2) Winter – with the second payment being awarded upon the scholarship office receiving the Fall grades.
Starr Commonwealth Scholarship Funders
Thank you to all the generous donors and friends who support Starr with scholarship gifts that make our students’ continued success possible. Here is a list of the scholarships available for our Starr alumni:
- Christian & Emma L. Breisch Scholarship
- Clyde & Kathy LeTarte Scholarship Endowment
- Collins Carter Scholarship
- Earl F. & V. Eileen Payne Scholarship
- F. Floyd Kent Scholarship
- Floyd Starr Scholarship
- Frederick J. & Anne I. Raisch Scholarship
- Herbert J. & Ruth Ann Richmond Scholarship
- John D. & Ruth Gillman Scholarship
- John H. Tucker & Helen I. Tucker Memorial Fund
- John Corsey Memorial Fund
- Lou Ann & Russ Mawby Scholarship
- Mildred J. Carter Scholarship
- Richard A. & Clara M. Patterson Scholarship Endowment
- Ruth N. & William B. Pierce Scholarship
- Starr Commonwealth Scholarship Fund
- Thomas Metz Kent Scholarship
- Thomas T. Lloyd Scholarship
- Timothy A. Ness Scholarship
- Wayne L. Yanz Scholarship