STARR’S TRAUMA-INFORMED, RESILIENCE-FOCUSED WORK IN SCHOOLS
- Levin, S. S., Strand, G., & Ray, M. (2021). The Resilient Schools Project: A systems approach to building trauma-informed, resilience-focused schools. Albion, MI: Starr Commonwealth.
- Melvyn C. Raider PhD , William Steele PsyD , Margaret Delillo-Storey LPC , Jacqueline Jacobs MED & Caelan Kuban MSW (2008) Structured Sensory Therapy (SITCAPART) for Traumatized Adjudicated Adolescents in Residential Treatment, Residential Treatment for Children & Youth, 25:2, 167-185, DOI: 10.1080/08865710802310178
- Helping Children with Big Feelings During COVID-19, Ribaudo, J., Safyer P. and Stein, S., Zero to Thrive, University of Michigan Medicine zerotothrive.org
- Georgie and the Giant Germ, Ribaudo, J., Safyer P. and Stein, S.
- Coping After a Disaster, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Kang L, Ma S, Chen M, et al. Impact on mental health and perceptions of psychological care among medical and nursing staff in Wuhan during the 2019 novel coronavirus disease outbreak: A cross-sectional study. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity. 2020 Mar DOI: 10.1016/j.bbi.2020.03.028.
- PEPP MWe Up Talk and Gathering (Personal Experience Planetary Pandemic), Dr. Dan Siegal, M.D.
- Link to streaming site: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/PEPPTalk/
Books for Professionals
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
- Citation: Van der Kolk, B. A. (2014). The body keeps the score: Brain, mind, and body in the healing of trauma. New York: Viking.
- Born for Love: Why Empathy is Essential – and Endangered by Bruce Perry and Maria Szalavitz
- Citation: Szalavitz, M., & Perry, B. D. (2010). Born for love: Why empathy is essential– and endangered. New York: William Morrow.
- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence – From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, by Judith Herman, M.D.
- Citation: Herman, J. L. (2015). Trauma and recovery: The aftermath of violence; from domestic abuse to political terror.
- Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy by Patricia Ogden
- Citation: Ogden, P., Minton, K., & Pain, C. (2006). Trauma and the body: A sensorimotor approach to psychotherapy. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Psychotherapy with Infants and Young Children: Repairing the Effects of Stress and Trauma on Early Attachment by Alicia F. Lieberman and Patricia Van Horn
- Citation: Lieberman, A. F., & Van Horn, P. (2008). Psychotherapy with infants and young children: Repairing the effects of stress and trauma on early attachment. Guilford Press.
- Infants in the Child Welfare System: A Developmental Framework for Policy and Practice by Brenda Jones Harden
- Citation: Harden, B. J., & Zero to Three (Organization). (2007). Infants in the child welfare system: A developmental framework for policy and practice. Washington, DC: Zero To Three.
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain, by Dan Siegel, M.D.
- Citation: Siegel, D. J. (2013). Brainstorm. the power and purpose of the teenage brain. New York: Jeremy P. Tarcher/Penguin.
- Play-Based Interventions for Childhood Anxieties, Fears and Phobias, edited by Athena A. Drewes and Charles E. Schaefer
- Citation: Drewes, A. A., & Schaefer, C. E. (2018). Play-based interventions for childhood anxieties, fears, and phobias. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma, by Peter A. Levine, Ph.D. with Ann Frederick
- Citation: Levine, P. A., & Frederick, A. (1997). Waking the tiger: healing trauma: the innate capacity to transform overwhelming experiences. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.
- How You Are Is as Important as What You Do…in Making a Positive Difference for Infants, Toddlers and Their Families, by Jeree H. Pawl and Maria St. John
- Citation: Pawl, J. H., & St John, M. (1998). How You Are Is as Important as What You Do…in Making a Positive Difference for Infants, Toddlers and Their Families. Zero to Three, 734 15th Street, NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20005-1013
- Over 50 Theraplay Activities for TeleHealth Creating Joyful Connection in Times of Social Distancing from The Theraplay® Institute
- Best Practices in Videoconferencing-Based Telemental Health (April 2018)
- Citation: Shore, J. H., Yellowlees, P., Caudill, R., Johnston, B., Turvey, C., Mishkind, M., & Hilty, D. (2018). Best practices in videoconferencing-based telemental health April 2018. Telemedicine and e-Health, 24(11), 827-832.
- A Practical Guide to Reflective Supervision, Edited by Sherryl Scott Heller and Linda Gilkerson
- Citation: Heller, S. S., & Gilkerson, L. (2009). A practical guide to reflective supervision. Washington, DC: Zero to Three.
- Meditations of Virginia Satir: Peace Within, Peace Between, Peace Among, Edited by Anne Banmen and John Banmen
- Citation: Satir, V., & Banmen, J. (2003). Meditations of Virginia Satir: peace within, peace between, peace among. Burien, WA: AVANTA The Virginia Satir Network.
- EMDR Therapy and Adjunct Approaches with Children – Complex Trauma, Attachment, and Dissociation, by Ana M. Gomez, MC, LPC
- Citation: Gomez, A. M. (2013). Emdr therapy and adjunct approaches with children: complex trauma, attachment, and dissociation. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- 101 Trauma-Informed Interventions: Activities, Exercises and Assignments to Move the Client and Therapy Forward, by Linda Curran
- Citation: Curran, Bcpc, Lpc, Cacd, Ccdpd, Linda. (2015). 101 Trauma-Informed Interventions: Activities, Exercises and Assignments to Move the Client and Therapy Forward. Ashland: Pesi Publishing & Media LLC.
- Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others, by Laura van Dernoot Lipsky and Connie Burk; Forward by Jon R. Conte, Ph.D.
- Citation: Lipsky, L. van D., & Burk, C. (2009). Trauma stewardship: an everyday guide to caring for self while caring for others. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- Trauma and Memory: Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past: A Practical Guide for Understanding and Working with Traumatic Memory, Peter A. Levine, Ph.D.; Forward by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
- Citation: Levine, P. (2015). Trauma and Memory: Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past: A Practical Guide for Understanding and Working with Traumatic Memory. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.
- Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma Self-Care Strategies for Managing Burnout and Stress, by Babette Rothschild and Marjorie L. Rand
- Citation: Rothschild, B. (2006). Help for the helper: the psychophysiology of compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma / Babette Rothschild with Marjorie L. Rand.
- Benefits of Mindfulness
Intergenerational transmission, infants and young children
- Merrick, M. T., Ports, K. A., Ford, D. C., Afifi, T. O., Gershoff, E. T., & Grogan-Kaylor, A. (2017). Unpacking the impact of adverse childhood experiences on adult mental health. Child abuse & neglect, 69, 10–19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.03.016
- Harden, B. J., Buhler, A., & Parra, L. J. (2016). Maltreatment in Infancy: A Developmental Perspective on Prevention and Intervention. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 17(4), 366–386. https://doi.org/10.1177/1524838016658878
- Machtinger, E. L., Cuca, Y. P., Khanna, N., Rose, C. D., & Kimberg, L. S. (2015). From treatment to healing: the promise of trauma-informed primary care. Women’s Health Issues, 25(3), 193-197.
- Fishbane, M. D. (2019). Healing Intergenerational Wounds: An Integrative Relational–Neurobiological Approach. Family Process, 58(4), 796–818. https://doi-org.arbor.idm.oclc.org/10.1111/famp.12488
- Czamanski-Cohen J, Weihs KL. The Bodymind Model: A platform for studying the mechanisms of change induced by art therapy. The Arts in Psychotherapy. 2016 Sep;51:63-71. DOI: 10.1016/j.aip.2016.08.006.
Children and Adolescents and Mind/Body Approaches
- Cicchetti, D., Weller, J. A., Leve, L. D., Kim, H. K., Bhimji, J., & Fisher, P. A. (2015). Plasticity of risky decision making among maltreated adolescents: Evidence from a randomized controlled trial. Development & Psychopathology, 27(2), 535–551. https://doi-org.arbor.idm.oclc.org/10.1017/S0954579415000140
- Cross D, Fani N, Powers A, Bradley B. Neurobiological Development in the Context of Childhood Trauma. Clinical Psychology : a Publication of the Division of Clinical Psychology of the American Psychological Association. 2017 Jun;24(2):111-124. DOI: 10.1111/cpsp.12198.
- Fraser, K., MacKenzie, D., & Versnel, J. (2017). Complex Trauma in Children and Youth: A Scoping Review of Sensory-Based Interventions. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 33(3), 199–216. https://doiorg.arbor.idm.oclc.org/10.1080/0164212X.2016.1265475
- Payne H, Brooks SD. Medically Unexplained Symptoms and Attachment Theory: The BodyMind Approach®. Frontiers in Psychology. 2019 ;10:1818. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01818.
- Payne, P., Levine, P. A., & Crane-Godreau, M. A. (2015). Somatic experiencing: using interoception and proprioception as core elements of trauma therapy. Frontiers in psychology, 6, 93. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00093
- Rothschild, B. (2004). Applying the brakes. Psychotherapy Networker, 28(1).
Implications for the Helper
- Winblad NE, Changaris M, Stein PK. Effect of Somatic Experiencing Resiliency-Based Trauma Treatment Training on Quality of Life and Psychological Health as Potential Markers of Resilience in Treating Professionals. Frontiers in Neuroscience. 2018 ;12:70. DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2018.00070.
- Hernández, P., Engstrom, D., & Gangsei, D. (2010). Exploring the impact of trauma on therapists: Vicarious resilience and related concepts in training. Journal of Systemic Therapies, 29(1), 67-83.
- Shore, J. H., Yellowlees, P., Caudill, R., Johnston, B., Turvey, C., Mishkind, M.. & Hilty, D. (2018). Best practices in videoconferencing-based telemental health April 2018. Telemedicine and e-Health, 24(11), 827-832. https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/Telepsychiatry/APA-ATA-Best-Practices-in-Videoconferencing-Based-Telemental-Health.pdf
- Jaclyn Janis, B. S. N., Coburn, A., Rochford, H., Knudson, A., Lundblad, J. P., MacKinney, M. A. C., & McBride, T. D. (2019). Behavioral Health in Rural America: Challenges and Opportunities. https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Psychiatrists/Practice/Telepsychiatry/APA-ATA-Best-Practices-in-Videoconferencing-Based-Telemental-Health.pdf